Wednesday, December 05, 2007

MORE gluten free dairy free Walt Disney World

Click here to look inside our gluten and dairy free lunch bag

We are back from vacation number two to the place where we feast like queens on a gluten and dairy free diet! Here is the scoop:


Day 1) I started with the 1900 Park Fare dinner. Bean loved the fresh fruits and veggies. I adored two wonderful salads available and the chicken from the kids station! Now, the chef did offer to make ours separate, but I felt comfortable eating from the buffet after looking it over and talking to her about ingredients.
So, the Narcouse/Neeseau.... I can't remember what it was called, but it was a mouth watering blend of greens, beans, olives, oils, and delight. I loved it! The chicken was just perfect and only seasoned with salt and pepper. Yum yum yum. And for dessert, Toffutti ice or Rice Dream cream was available (we don't eat Toffuti at home, and someone emailed me to let me know there is controversy about if the Vanilla used in Toffuti is actually 100% gluten free, so do check on that before you consume!).
The atmosphere was loud and busy, but it was worth it! Everyone had a great time, and full belly. Sorry no pictures! I was too busy eating!

Day 2) our first full day!
Crystal Palace for Breakfast


Delicious! We loved the food choices here, same as last time! Yummy fruits, fun atmosphere, delicious potatoes! The eggs are dairy free. Great!





The Chef Brought out gluten free dairy free pancakes for Bean. She loved that too!





We ate at Whispering Canyon Cafe that night. Again, loud and crowded, but the food was very good. The chicken was tender and delicious. Dessert was nothing too special (Itzakadoozie pop). But did I mention how good the chicken was (second chicken pictured below...I didn't actually taste the kids grilled chicken)?





more from Whispering Canyon


Day 3) Tusker House for breakfast in the Animal Kingdom.



This was...loud and crowded, yet again, but good. The chef treated us...see next picture





This was our cutest display of gluten free pancakes on the trip! Sadly, they didn't taste very good, but with all that pure maple syrup and cherry topping, they got eaten up! That was a nice surprise.





Artist Point for supper: I had the Market Salad and Salmon. It was delicious. They were very attentive to my restrictions. I did, however, get sick this night. I can't say for certain if it was from the meal or something else. They seemed to be doing a very good job of keeping the allergens out! There were only packaged brownies for dessert. But the atmosphere was my favorite of the trip. Much quieter, beautiful paintings, fun and knowledgeable wait staff! We have been here twice now. I do enjoy it!





Day 4) Brown Derby for supper: The chef here was just great. He brought bean out some veggies she loves as a perfect starter.





He brought us the EngerG rolls, warmed, and a fennel infused olive oil to dip our bread in! YUM!!! What a great idea, by the way!






The chicken was disappointing. It was very dry. The potatoes and sweet dressing on them were very good, though!





Bean had a hot dog and french fries. The bun is gluten free, dairy free.





Brown Derby served my favorite dessert of the trip...a cup of berries with homemade mango sorbet! Delicious! I shared mine with Bean because she loved the mango!





Day 5) Biergarten in Epcot. This surprised me because I didn't expect to like it. I only booked it because I knew my husband would LOVE it. Well, it was my favorite meal of the trip! I adored the salads! The red cabbage salad and the tomato onion salad were my favorites. The fruit gel for dessert was nice. It was a terrific meal. Bean ate mostly hot dogs (although I am sure they had another name). We all ended up stuffed! She also had a packaged brownie for dessert.





Day 6) Kona Cafe for supper: First off, we had the WORST service in the world this night! We checked in at 5pm and then they forgot us. At 5:30 we went back and they said "whoops, sorry!". That was just the beginning...All through dinner, the service was awful. Slow, rude, unprofessional. This was NOT what I expected from the Kona at the Poly! I am hoping we just caught them on an off night. The chef we worked with was not anywhere near as creative or helpful as any other chef we talked to on Disney property. He basically brought us the bare bones. I asked for rolls, and we get a basket of them with nothing to put on them. The salad is torn down to just lettuce, the chicken, while it looks delicious, was terribly dry and bland. The only good thing was the side salad with dinner (on the plate below) and the non dairy ice cream for dessert!





There was one other good thing, Bean liked her rice noodles. She didn't like her chicken, and she didn't eat anything other than the noodles, but at least she liked them!





There is my dish. The salad was very good. The chicken was just dry as a bone.







Other spots we ate:


Cosmic Rays: Long line, long wait, but okay counter service. Not terrible, and best to eat early. We had a salad and a hot dog with no bun. We had to speak to the manager and wait aprox 8 minutes for a fresh batch to ensure no contamination. We had apples that were pre cut and bagged. They had a gross flavor. The fruit flat was good, and the carrots were good.

Pecos Bills: We learned our lesson and went early. Everyone was happy! No wait at 11am. We had burgers and we opted for no bun this time (although they did offer us a gluten free bun). We had carrots and grapes. The grapes tasted weird to me. Kind of like they hadn't been cleaned or something? I don't know. We didn't like them. We also had applesauce, which is good.

Pepper Market in the CSR Hands down the WORST experience of our two trips. We ate there 3-4 times and each time was awful. The manager, hosts, and wait staff just refused to help us with our dietary restrictions, and the chefs were just too busy and uneducated to provide us safe meals (for example, handed me bacon that was sitting in a bowl of bread, went to put the batter in a gluten cooking waffle iron, stuff like that). And the rudeness! You guys wouldn't believe it. I am a soft spoken small woman with my young children, and when I asked for help, I was treated as if I were the worst insult to walk through the door. One woman actually threw her hands up in the air and stormed off, shaking her head, when I asked her where I could find something. The manager barked a rude command at a host, totally ignoring me, when I asked him for help with our allergies. This restaurant is not run by Disney and it shows. I will not go back to this resort again, and it's too bad because it's lovely, beautiful and fun.

The Grand One Yacht CruiseIf you take a cruise, be sure to bring your own drinks. There was no running water, nor were there any beverages to buy, so we had a two hour drive with gluten free cake and nothing to wash it down! Just come prepared and enjoy the luxury.

Main Street BakeryWe got the Rich's brand of gluten free dairy free chocolate chip cookies. They were VERY crumbly! I am amazed they hold their shape on the stand! But the taste is good. We also got the pre packaged Rich's brownies, which several restaurants had served us. They are good. Not as good as the freshly baked brownies that we had on our last trip, but better then Itzakadozee all week long! LOL And we tried to get a Dole Whip, but we failed. It was closed! I had read that there were dairy free, and I was excited to try one, but the Aloha Isle wasn't open at 10:30am, when we went, and we never made it back.





I will come back with tips and tricks, so come back soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home