Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Gluten Free Dairy Free Walt Disney World

Click here to look inside our gluten and dairy free lunch bag


Click here for more details on the entire trip and gluten free / casein free food at Disney World

First, I must apologize for the poor photos, but I felt a bit like a dork taking pictures of my food! Too funny. We had a great experience with eating gluten free and dairy free in disney. The Chefs were wonderful! Here is our trip (of eating!)

The First was Boma for supper. It was good. There were many choices for myself, but not so much that my daughter loved. Many of the foods were too spicy for her, although I enjoyed that. The coconut salmon, potatoes, and mango vinaigrettes were my favorites here.

At Boma, they brought her a sorbet that tasted a bit like cranberry and mint. It was unique. She enjoyed it.

The Crystal Palace was the favorite for both the girls because of the characters. Bean loved her GF/CF Mickey pancakes! She ate one, and then requested another, which they made for her promptly.

Here is the rest of Bean's plate from Crystal Palace: fruits, egg, potatoes that tasted divine!

We ate at Pecos Bills once. The line was SO LONG that it took almost an hour to get our food, but it was worth it for Bean to have a gluten free dairy free bun with her burger! She loved that! I do think reservations are the way to go with little kids, though.

Artist Point is a fine dining restaurant in Wilderness Lodge. We all loved our food. This is the buffalo with green veggies and sweet potato. We also had gluten free chicken and white potato. It was very good!

Some common found snacks were these yummy rice treats, brownies, and nuts. We were able to get these at Mara as well as at many of the shops


Chef Eddie, at Mara, was wonderful. He made Bean some gluten free dairy free waffles each morning, and he made me dairy free eggs. This was counter service so we purchased drinks and fruit separately. He was so nice, as were all of the chefs. He always came out to talk to Bean and to make sure she enjoyed her meal!

The Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom had gluten free bread on hand, as well as gluten free fries and other items. Here is what Bean chose. We enjoyed this meal as well, although it did take a long time for the food to arrive. It was an enjoyable place to wait.

At Rengetsu in Orlando (not disney) they took special care to bring Bean gluten and dairy free Nigiri. They subbed the sushi rice (which is soaked in a sauce that could contain gluten) with gluten free. They used no sauces. She ate every bite and she loved it.

The Liberty Tree Tavern is another character meal and we had a great time there. The food was delicious Thanksgiving style. They made some GF/CF mashed potatoes and gravy for us, as well as turkey, ham, roast beef. They cooked us separate beans in oil, and they brought out gluten free rolls. Bean said "they sure have a lot of gluten free bread in Florida!" We loved this place!

We celebrated a birthday at the Liberty Tree Tavern, so they brought us GF/CF chocolate cakes and rice dream to eat with the rest of our group. Delicious!

Hollywood and Vine at MGM was fantastic. They had so many great veggie choices and the chef grilled salmon and steak for us too! Plus homemade brownies (made that day). They were so wonderful. This was another character meal with singing and dancing for the kids. The food surprised us. It was wonderful! They also had gluten free rolls, which they brought out promptly. Wonderful!

9 Comments:

Blogger CDW said...

I am planning at trip to WDW this summer with my nephew who has Celiac. I was wondering about the gluten free bun you got at Pecos Bills. Do you have to call ahead for counter service restaurants or did they have this available for anyone on a walk up basis?

Thanks!
-Cindy

12:28 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

CDW - No, you shouldn't need to phone ahead. There are a handful of places that should have those on hand, such as Pecos Bills. They were SO BUSY that day that I decided I wasn't going to ask for gluten free bun because I didn't think they could do it when they were so swamped, but someone who worked there overheard me telling my husband not to ask for the bun and they piped in and told me it was no problem because they always kept the GF buns in stock :) It did take an extra 10 minutes of waiting after ordering (beyond what average people waited) so I'd recommend trying to eat at an off time or finding a seat for your party before going to order. Have a great trip!

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi laura, I am from ARgentina, planning my first trip to Orlando.
I am celiac and wanted to know if i have to phone each park before going to get some celiac food or i have to find just there when I arrive.

Do you have msn or some messenger to ask you?
Your experience will be great for us.

Thanks
my msn is jpsueiro at ellmann.net
and mail jpsueiro at gmail.com

9:56 AM  
Blogger Mike Eberhart said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this information! I had no idea there would be so much food available for my son (3 years old)at WDW. I usually travel with his special snacks and meals everywhere we go. He needs to be GF DF due to his celiac's.
I am still trying to figure out all his dietary needs along with mine. I was amazed at all the food that seems to be available from the pics of your classes. Do you order online?
Would you be willing to email me with advice sometime? the doctors and even nutritionists I have spoken to do not seem very knowledgable. ugh...it can be very frustrating! Thank you for your time!!

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your Disney food blog. We are visiting Disney for the 2nd time soon. Our son is gluten free/dairy free. We are particularly looking forward to the Disney restaurants.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jazz, I'd be happy to email you with any help I can provide :)
You can email me through glutenchallenge@gmail.com

3:59 PM  
Blogger Veloute said...

Look at all that beautiful food! What a joy that must have been for Bean :) and YOU!

10:19 AM  
Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Thanks for posting all of this! We are planning a trip to WDW this summer and I have been so nervous for my son. I've heard good things about Disney but with all of his allergies, I'm still scared. He needs to eat free of wheat, rye, barley, egg, milk, peanut, and tree nut and it looks like we may be able to do that. The boy can survive a whole week on hot dogs, french fries and fruit since that's basically all he eats now :)

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home